Prof. Mathew Joseph
PhD (University of Glasgow, UK)
Experience: Over 37 years
Mathew Joseph had been Senior Consultant (2007-2011) at Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER), a premier economic policy think tank based in New Delhi. He had worked in USAID India State Fiscal Reform Project as Deputy Chief and Senior Adviser (2005-2007) and as Head of Research at ICICI Bank (1995-2002). He had also worked in Government of India, Ministry of Finance as Deputy Economic Adviser (1990-1995). He holds a Ph D in Economics from the University of Glasgow, UK. His research interests include: open-economy macroeconomics, public debt management, financial sector, industry, regional development, retail and global governance.
Some of his publications include:
1. Book: Exchange Rate Policy: Impact on Exports and Balance of Payments, Deep & Deep Publications, New Delhi, 1992.
2. Book: Regulation of Financial Intermediaries in Emerging Markets (co-edited with TT Ram Mohan and Rupa Rege Nitsure), Sage Publications, New Delhi, 2005.
3. Book: Mid-Year Review of the Indian Economy 2007-08 (co-authored with Rajiv Kumar, Karan Singh and Manjeeta Singh), Shipra Publications, Delhi, 2008.
4. Book: Retail in India: A Critical Assessment, Academic Foundation, New Delhi, 2009 (co-authored with Nirupama Soundararajan).
5. Book: Reflections on Chinese Management Styles and Business Ethics (co-edited with Jitendra K. Das), Bloomsbury Publishing India Pvt. Ltd, New Delhi, 2013.
6. Chapter: "Financing of Indian Firms: Meeting the Needs and Challenges of the 21st Century" (co-authored with R. Nitsure and M. Sabnavis) in India: A Financial Sector for the Twenty-first Century, Oxford University Press, India, 1999.
7. "WTO and Indian Banking Sector: The Road Ahead" (co-authored with Rupa R. Nitsure), Economic and Political Weekly, June 15-21, 2002, pp. 2315-2322, Mumbai.
8. "Performance of Southern States: A Comparative Study" in Economic and Political Weekly, 13 September 2003, Mumbai, pp. 3915-3930.
9. "Performance of Northern States: A Comparative Analysis", Economic and Political Weekly, 7 February 2004, Mumbai, pp. 564-579.
10. "Northern States Versus Southern States: A Comparative Analysis", Working Paper No. 134, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER), New Delhi, May 2004.
11. Chapter: INDIA (co-authored with Rajiv Kumar) in Growth and Responsibility: The Positioning of Emerging Powers in the Global Governance System, Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung, Berlin, 2009.
12. "Indian Economic Outlook 2008-09 and 2009-10" ICRIER Working Paper No. 234, March 2009 (co-authored with Rajiv Kumar, and others).
13. "Global Crisis: India’s Response", Review of Market Integration, Sage Publications, Vol 1, No.2, May-August 2009, New Delhi.
14. "Global Financial Crisis: How was India Impacted?", Global Financial Governance: Challenges and Regional Responses, DIE-InWent Conference Proceedings, Berlin, 3-4 September 2009.
15. "The State of the Indian Economy 2009-10" ICRIER Working Paper No. 241, October 2009 (co-authored with Karan Singh, and others).
16. "Indian Economy: Selected Methodological Advances", (with Karan Singh and others), ICRIER Working Paper No. 253, February 2011.
17. Chapter: "India and Global Governance", In the National Interest: A Companion Volume, BS Books, New Delhi, 2011.
18. "Global Crisis Response and Its Implications, India Vs China" Working Paper No. 11, FORE School of Management, New Delhi, December 2011.
19. "India-Japan Trade and Investment Relations and Their Future Prospects" paper presented to Symposium on Japan-India Relations in the 21st Century Asia-Pacific Era, organised by Keizai Koho Cener in Tokyo, 19 January 2012.
- First class and first rank (Gold Medalist) for Masters in Economics from University of Kerala, India.
- First position for M Phil (Economic Development) from the University of Glasgow, UK.
- Indian Exim Bank International Trade Research Award (ITRA) in 1993 for the best Ph D thesis.
- Stood first in the Indian Economic Service (IES) examination for entry into Government of India in 1974.
- Editor of International Journal of Development Banking (IJDB), Mumbai from 1997 to 2000.
- Member of Task Force on Data Reporting System for Financial Institutions for the Report of the Working Group on Money Supply, Reserve Bank of India, Mumbai, June 1998.
- Member of Working Group on Reforms in Deposit Insurance in India which submitted its report to Reserve Bank of India in October 1999.
- Member of the Sub-Group on Household Saving for the Tenth Five Year Plan which submitted its report in June 2001.
- Member of Board of Directors of Tolani Shipping Company Ltd. (Corporate Office: Mumbai) during 1995-2003 and of Aarvee Denims Limited (Corporate Office: Ahmedabad) during 1995-2000.